- All Students Welcome!-Whether your child is outgoing or reserved, he/she will love drama class. Quiet kids find a place where it is safe to be heard and extroverted kids find an outlet for their creativity.
- Last Day Celebration- Our focus is on giving kids a positive experience of performing, not on rehearsing elaborate plays or musicals which would take more time than we have. We do perform skits and plays for each other every session, so kids who want to put on plays will have a great time! Most groups do choose to share some of their pieces with friends and family members during the last class. You will get an invitation to an interactive showcase of pieces, if your child’s group to share some of their work. (Be prepared to participate!) We also offer spring break and summer camps for kids who are interested in creating a full-length production.
- Class confirmation-You will receive an automatic email when your register your child. This is confirmation that your child is confirmed into the class and that unless we contact you to say that we didn’t have enough kids, your class will happen on the date and time specified. No one will call and remind your family that you enrolled your child in drama. We will send a roster to the school on the morning of the class and ask the secretaries to send it out to all of the teachers so that they may get the kids to the right space.
- Homework-Your child may bring home activities to try at home, or we may email you a short script with a part for your child to rehearse. Homework from drama club is elective and should be fun for your child and for the family. It’s okay if you don’t get to it. And great fun if you are able!
- Snacks-Please send your child with a snack for the day he/she has acting class.
- Class Location-Please call the school for class location if it’s not on the flyer.
- Registration Deadline-Many of our workshops fill quickly; register online or via mail. If you do not register early, your child may not get in. Check on the “registration” page of our website for availability. If there is still room in the class, you must register at least 24 hrs. in advance, or miss the first class. We DO NOT take walk-in students. Do not send a check in to the school. Phone registration is no longer available.
- Getting Kids to the Class-All Young Players workshops are held within your school building unless otherwise noted. We are usually not informed of the space we will be in until the first day of class. The school receives a roster of kids 24 hrs. in advance, and usually, the school secretary reminds your child’s teacher to send him/her to drama. Parents of younger or forgetful children may wish to send a reminder email to the teacher, or put a reminder in the child’s lunch-box. We are not responsible for getting your child to the class. The Young Players instructor arrives early and stays until all kids have been picked up.
- Late Pick-ups-Please be on time to pick up your child. Meet him/her in the room at the end of class, or at the curb five minutes later. If you are more than five minutes late, we will charge a dollar a minute to stay and wait, or we may have to leave your child with “after-care” at your expense. Young Players teaching artists are professional actors or certified teachers who often have other classes/rehearsals after your drama class.
- Parent Volunteers/Observation-We welcome parent volunteers who have a background in teaching or theatre, or simply a desire to help! We ask that you be available for most of the classes, to keep consistency. We discourage “observers” as it can create performance anxiety for some children. We do invite you to arrive ten minutes early to pick up your child. The kids are almost always performing pieces for each other at the end. We especially welcome feedback and we love to receive short, original scripts for the kids to perform. Uplifting stories with messages are our favorites!
- Class Conduct-Great actors are patient, kind and follow directions. We are protective of the workshop environment and the experience of each child and will excuse children without refund who are repeatedly disruptive. If your child has difficulty following directions or focusing, he/she may not be ready for drama. Call our office if you have questions/concerns.
- Refunds-Due to the high demand for space in our classes, we offer refunds before the second class only. We do not give refunds to parents who forget to send kids to drama. Please be sure to put the dates on your calendar.
- Rate Increase-Due to a dramatic rise in some building rental rates, we have had to raise tuition in some schools.
- Scholarships-The Young Players does not receive any grants or government funding. We are self-supporting and work hard to keep the program affordable for families. We are unable to offer scholarships at this time. Many PTA’s have scholarship funds for enrichment.
- Camps and More Workshops-We will offer drama at your school at least once a year. We also offer an amazing summer camp experience for just $199 for the entire week. See our website for details.
- How Young Players Works as an Organization-2011 marks the eighth year for Oregon’s largest drama program. YP serves over 100 schools across twelve districts, and unbelievably, it has been run by one person for the majority of the time. The Director, Janea Dahl has dedicated her life to the upliftment of children through stories, music and movement. But she is getting tired. The program simply doesn’t make enough for her to hire help. But she would like to have more time to write inspiring curriculum, train teachers, visit classrooms and work directly with the children. If you are interested in helping to strengthen this organization through volunteering, raising funds, or helping her with PR, she welcomes your phone call/email! All help is appreciated, large or small.
Terms and Conditions Regarding the Young Players Website
The term “Young Players” or “us” or “we” refers to the owner of the website whose registered office is in Portland, Oregon. The term “you” refers to the user or viewer of our website.
- The content of the pages of this website is for your general information and use only. It is subject to change without notice.
- Neither Young Players nor any third parties provide any warranty or guarantee as to the accuracy, timeliness, performance, completeness or suitability of the information and materials found or offered on this website for any particular purpose. You acknowledge that such information and materials may contain inaccuracies or errors and we expressly exclude liability for any such inaccuracies or errors to the fullest extent permitted by law.
- Your use of any information or materials on this website is entirely at your own risk, for which we shall not be liable. It shall be your own responsibility to ensure that any products, services or information available through this website meet your specific requirements.
- This website contains material which is owned by or licensed to us. This material includes, but is not limited to, the design, layout, look, appearance and graphics. Reproduction is prohibited other than in accordance with the copyright notice, which forms part of these terms and conditions.
- All trade marks reproduced in this website which are not the property of, or licensed to, the operator are acknowledged on the website.
- Unauthorized use of this website may give rise to a claim for damages and/or be a criminal offence.
- From time to time this website may also include links to other websites. These links are provided for your convenience to provide further information. They do not signify that we endorse the website(s). We have no responsibility for the content of the linked website(s).
- You may not create a link to this website from another website or document without [business name]‘s prior written consent.
- Your use of this website and any dispute arising out of such use of the website is subject to the laws of the State of Oregon and the United States of America.
Collection of Information
We collect personally identifiable information, like names, postal addresses, email addresses, etc., when voluntarily submitted by our visitors. The information you provide is used to collect payment for and register your child or children in our classes. Additional information we request is used to communicate with you directly regarding issues pertaining to your child’s participation in our classes such as: calling you on your cell phone if you are late picking up your child, or sending you updates to dates/times of classes via email. We will not sell, distribute or lease your personal information to third parties.
Distribution of Information
We may share information with governmental agencies or other companies assisting us in fraud prevention or investigation. We may do so when: (1) permitted or required by law; or, (2) trying to protect against or prevent actual or potential fraud or unauthorized transactions; or, (3) investigating fraud which has already taken place. The information is not provided to these companies for marketing purposes.